That’s not all:
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How long does a keratin treatment last? Professional vs. home treatments
Have you had a keratin treatment and wonder if you can use your favorite serum?
I don’t recommend it. It’s not necessary to add more product to your hair after keratin.
In this article, we’ll see when you can use serum again. First, I need you to know what serum and keratin are so that you can learn how to take care of your hair.
Tabla de Contenidos
An expert tells you all about serum and keratin
Serums are oils that give a finishing touch to the wash. They’re also hair care treatments.They usually contain vitamins and ingredients that help moisturize, nourish, and repair the hair. They help to prevent frizz and seal split ends.
There are different types of serums. You need to know how and when to use each one to get the result you want.
Keratin, on the other hand, is a core protein of the outer layer of the hair fiber. It keeps your hair strong and healthy.
Keratin is a smoothing treatment against frizz to nourish and strengthen the hair.
Now that you know this, would you want to get a keratin treatment?
But there’s one thing you should know. Keratin treatment needs some care to work properly.
Whether the keratin effect lasts or not will depend on you.
So, can I use serum after the keratin treatment?
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: My keratin treatment only lasted a month. What do I do?
Can I use serum after the keratin treatment? I don’t recommend it
I don’t recommend it. It’s not forbidden, but let me explain why I don’t recommend it as a professional hairdresser.
After a keratin treatment, your hair needs time to absorb the chemicals it has received to combat frizz, nourish, and strengthen it.
My advice is to wait at least until the first wash before using the serum or oil again.
But the question you should ask yourself before applying the serum is, why do I put a serum on my hair? What do I want to achieve with it?
Here’s what we’ll look at.
Does your hair need a serum? Find out here
The reasons why you use serum will determine how long you should wait to use your favorite serum again after a keratin treatment.
Does your hair really need it?
Let’s look at some necessary and unnecessary reasons:
- “I like to feel the scent that the serum leaves on my hair”. Yes! Serums indeed perfume your hair.
Of course, you’ll have to give up the scent for a few days. At this point, it’s unnecessary for your hair.
- “My hair is electrified and the serum helps me control it”.
This is a good reason to use the oil because keratin treatments involve flat ironing.The static from the flat iron can leave your hair frizzy.
Just a few drops of serum will do the trick to get those little hairs down. What’s more, they won’t ruin your keratin treatment.
- “I want to nourish my hair with serum”. This is unnecessary: you have already applied keratin to nourish it. Let it work.
I assure you that, if the keratin treatment is well done, you’ll see results soon.
- “I use the serum because I want more shine in my hair”. This is also unnecessary. Let the keratin do its job.
When can I reapply serum after a keratin treatment? I tell you here
Now that you know if your hair needs serum, you may be wondering: when do I reapply my favorite serum?
It’s best to wait 7 to 10 days after the keratin treatment to reapply serum, but it depends on the type of oil.
- Coconut oil:I think this is one of my favorites because it has great properties and benefits for dry hair and the scalp.
You can put a few drops in the palms of your hands and rub it from mids to ends. Alternatively, apply it and leave it on for 30 to 60 min. Then, rinse.
In either case, you should wait at least a week to use coconut oil Sometimes, less is more.
- Argan oil: you should wait to use your argan oil at least 10 days after the keratin treatment. It could saturate your hair and make it look dirty.
I recommend that you don’t use it pure. Instead, buy one for hair use only. Put a few drops in your hands and distribute from mid-lengths to ends.
- Almond oil: just like argan oil, it’s best to buy the formulations for hair. It prevents split ends and breakage.
- Olive oil:if your hair breaks easily, use this trick: Put olive oil on your hair before washing, and let it act for 15 minutes.
It has vitamins A, E, and C, and fatty acids. It’s a real beauty elixir for damaged hair.
But you have to wait at least 10 days after the keratin treatment to use it again.
- Jojoba oil and rosemary oil: they are ideal for greasy hair. Rosemary oil is also used for hair loss.
You should wait at least until the first wash after the keratin treatment to apply a serum on your hair. However, it’s better if you wait 7 days.
Hair serums are great for maximizing your mane, but after a keratin treatment it’s best to wait long enough for the treatment to work instead of saturating the hair unnecessarily.
Remember, sometimes less is more.