If your hair is sticky after a keratin treatment, either one of two things happened:
- The first possible reason for your hair to be sticky is that it’s saturated with products. There may be buildup from previous treatments. And keratin was the last straw that broke the camel’s back.
- The second possible reason why your hair is sticky after keratin treatment is that the keratin may have activated a seborrheic dermatitis.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: The keratin treatment made my hair greasier. Is there a solution?
If you had a keratin treatment or have done it yourself, and your hair feels sticky, these are the possible reasons.
We’ll analyze them in-depth. Join me.
Tabla de Contenidos
1) Your hair got sticky because of the previous buildup from hair products
As I stated earlier, your hair can be sticky because it’s saturated with products that you don’t even notice.
- Styling creams you use every day, hair sprays, and leave-in conditioners are a problem… Not to mention if you use shampoo with sulfates and silicones.
They leave residue that gets deposited on your hair and leaves it sticky over time.
- Generally, silicones and sulfates form a film that gives hair shine. But don’t be fooled: this only happens during the first few washes.
Over time, the cosmetic or artificial effect of these shampoos ends up overloading the hair and giving the opposite effect: they leave your hair sticky.Product build-up is the most common cause for hair becoming sticky and weighed down. It can even look dull.
- You may think the keratin left your hair sticky.
But your hair had probably already shown some symptoms that you may have overlooked.It’s likely that when you applied the keratin treatment, your hair had reached its limit of accumulating products.
Then, it became sticky and dull.
- This happened because keratin is a cosmetic product used to seal the cuticle. It’s a heavy treatment.
But keratin was just the straw that broke the camel’s back. The problem was already there before applying the treatment.
Solution 1 to stop having sticky hair: free your hair from sulfates and silicones
What you need to do to stop your hair from feeling sticky is to get a clarifying shampoo.
It’ll exfoliate your hair.
It is very similar to what happens with the skin.
When we want to deep clean our facial skin, what do we do?
We exfoliate and remove all the dead cells so that our skin is clean.
Clarifying shampoo works the same way: it removes all the products that accumulate in your hair and give you that sticky, dull, and even brittle effect.
After using the clarifying shampoo, you should follow up with a sulfate- and silicone-free wash.
Another good option and possible solution is to use baby shampoo. In a short time, you’ll notice the changes in your hair.
2) Sticky hair after keratin due to seborrheic dermatitis
Seborrheic dermatitis is another cause why hair can look sticky.
- Keratin is a cosmetic product. It’s used to improve hair care, but some of the ingredients can become irritating and alter the scalp PH.
- The cause of seborrheic dermatitis is unknown, but cosmetic products may be one of them.
- So, if your sticky hair is also accompanied by other symptoms such as mild flaking or itching, you’re probably suffering from seborrheic dermatitis.
Don’t be alarmed. Seborrheic dermatitis is common and can occur at any time in our lives.
Solution 2 to stop sticky hair: Ask a dermatologist
If your hair is sticky because of seborrheic dermatitis, you should first ask a dermatologist, who is the specialist in this type of problem.
You can also use oatmeal soap if you also have some itching.
On the other hand, if you don’t have itching but only sticky hair, try to level the PH with a balanced shampoo.
Ph-balanced shampoos don’t contain alcohol or soap. They’re gentle and kind to the scalp.
If your hair has become sticky, remember: the fewer products you use, the better
Now you know the possible causes of why hair can become sticky.
You’ve also learned how important the products we choose are to the beauty and health of our hair.
In my hairstylist years, I met many women who don’t know how to wash their hair, and that’s not all.
Many use any shampoo without knowing if it is what they need.
Many others saturate their hair with as much product as they can find along the way. Of course, the result is sticky hair.
In some cases, less is more.My advice is to take the time to wash your hair and also select the products that match your hair type.
There’s no need to spend a fortune on treatments. For example, baby shampoo is a suitable and harmless product.
Of course, it won’t work for everyone. People who have dry hair will need to alternate with a moisturizing product.
Now you know how to prevent and solve the problem of your sticky hair.
I hope you can do it soon!