- If you use blue shampoo on your blonde hair, it’ll turn into a green ashy color.
- This is because the color that neutralizes the unwanted yellow shades in blonde hair is purple.
- Therefore, if your hair is dark blonde 6, blonde 7, or light blonde 8, you can use the blue shampoo to give your hair an ashy tone without bright yellow shades.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Can you use blue shampoo in blonde hair?
As you can see, before considering what blue shampoo does on blonde hair, you need to know what you want to achieve.
For example, iridescent pearly blonde hair is different from ashy blonde hair.
That’s the key to it all.Blue shampoo will leave your hair ash blonde, but it will be greenish ash.
Don’t be scared. It doesn’t mean that your mane will be green.
What I want you to understand is that after using the blue shampoo, your hair will still be blonde. It’ll also be a darker ash color than what you’d achieved with a purple shampoo.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Blue or Purple Shampoo: Which one should you choose for your hair?
About eight years ago, platinum blondes, grays, and pearly tones were trendy.
Products such as toner and purple shampoo are used to maintain them because they neutralize the unwanted yellows that appear in blonde hair.
Violet is the opposite color of yellow on the color wheel.
Therefore, “] if you want a pearly or iridescent/nacreous color, you should use violet shampoo on your blonde hair.
What will happen if you use blue shampoo on your blonde hair?
First, you need to know how shampoos work. That’s what I’ll talk about below.
Tabla de Contenidos
How do toning shampoos work on blonde hair?
The toning shampoo is perfect to maintain ashy, iridescent hair. Also, to bring faded color back to life.
Every time you wash your hair with a toning shampoo, the pigments adhere to the outer layer of the hair and gradually eliminate bright unwanted shades.
To know which shampoo to use on your blonde hair, there are two things to consider:
- The color you want to remove, which can be orange or yellowish.
- The color you want to achieve, which could be ashy or pearly.
According to the color wheel:
- Violet neutralizes yellow
- Green neutralizes red
- Blue neutralizes orange
Why is this information helpful?
- As you can see, to remove the unwanted yellow tones from your blonde hair, the best option is to use violet shampoo to achieve pearly blonde hair. Purple is achieved by mixing two colors: blue and red.
- If you apply blue shampoo to your yellow hair, the result will be a green product that will be neutralized by the red, which contains violet. Therefore, your hair will be iridescent blonde, which is a pearly color with blue and red highlights.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: 5 differences between champagne blonde and ash blonde: discover the best one for you
So far, we talked about what toning shampoo to choose depending on the color you want to remove from your blonde hair.
We still have to talk about something very important.
Before using the blue shampoo, check out how blonde your hair is
Do you know your hair’s color level?
The level is the degree of darkness or lightness of your blonde hair.
Now, look at your hair.
There are various blonde levels, from the darkest to the lightest.
- Dark blonde 6
- Blonde 7
- Light blonde 8
- Very light blonde 9
- Extra light blonde 10
They contain underlying pigments, which can be yellow or orange.
- Orange will always appear on dark blonde 6 and blonde 7 hair.
- “] Alternatively, strident yellows will appear on light blonde 8, very light blonde 9, and extra light blonde 10.
So, is it a good idea to apply blue shampoo to blonde hair?
- If you want to remove the yellow from your blonde hair to get to white or grey hair, use violet shampoo.
- Or, if you want to make your hair pale yellow or ashy, use blue shampoo.
Do you want some extra help figuring out if you should use blue shampoo on your blonde hair?
- If your hair is dark blonde 6 or blonde 7, use blue shampoo because you probably want to remove the orange unwanted shades.
- If your hair is light blonde 8, you can use both blue shampoo and violet shampoo.
- If your hair is very light blonde 9 or extra light blonde 10, use violet shampoo to forget about yellow.
Toning shampoos are gentle and don’t damage the hair. The color change is very slow and you can work the results by using it more or less frequently.
Blue shampoo will leave an ashy green tint on blonde hair. So, before using shampoo, consider the blondness of your hair and decide the final result you want to achieve.
If your hair is very light blonde or extra light blonde, and you want a platinum or grey blonde, ideally you should use violet shampoo.