- Generally, you shouldn’t use shampoo after applying Garnier hair color.
- Once you’ve waited for the right exposure time of the Garnier hair color, you should rinse your hair until the water runs clear to ensure that no dye remains in your hair. Then apply the post-coloring treatment.
- This product will remove any remaining dye from your scalp and moisturize your hair.
- Two or three days after coloring your hair, you can wash your hair with shampoo. I recommend you use a sulfate-free shampoo or a shampoo for color-treated hair to protect the color.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Can you wash your hair the same day you dye it?
I think I made myself clear, didn’t I?
Many women ask me if they can use shampoo to rinse out hair dye. Especially when they use strong colors, such as black or red, which leave stains around the face or on the scalp.
And even in those cases, I recommend you don’t shampoo your hair after applying Garnier hair dye.
Because shampooing will obviously remove the dye stains from your scalp and face, but it will also fade a lot of the color .
In addition, Garnier hair dye includes in its dye kit a post-coloring treatment, which serves to moisturize the hair and remove the rest of the dye that stayed in.
Therefore, you don’t need to use shampoo when rinsing out Garnier hair color.
Now, in the subsequent washes after you color your hair, the story changes completely. And I’ll tell you more about that later.
For now, let’s start at the beginning.
Don’t use shampoo when you finish applying Garnier hair color
Why? Because the correct way to rinse out dye is to use only water and the post-coloring treatment included in the coloring kit.
Do you know why you shouldn’t shampoo your hair straight after coloring it?
To color your hair, you mix the developer substance and the color together, right? This coloring mixture will open your cuticles so that the dye pigments can penetrate and change the color of your hair.
But during this process, your hair cuticles can be left open. Therefore, if you use shampoo straight away, you’ll remove some of the color your hair absorbed.
And the result will be that your hair will have a dull, faded color.
So, just rinsing the dye out once the exposure time is over is very important, so that your new color lasts longer.
Do you want to know how to properly rinse your Garnier hair dye after you apply it?
- After the exposure time, run cold water over your hair . The cold water will close the cuticles and your hair will retain the new color.
- Place your hair under the water for three minutes, while massaging your scalp and hair. Do this until the water runs clear.
- Once you see clear water, drain your hair and apply the post-coloring treatment . This will close any remaining open cuticles and give your hair shine and moisture.
- Leave the post-coloring treatment on for five minutes and rinse again. You can use cold or lukewarm water.
- Drain your hair and let it dry naturally.
Now, let’s say it’s been two or three days since you colored your hair with Garnier hair color. Can you use shampoo? I’ll tell you about that next.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Can I wash my hair 24 hours after dyeing it?
72 hours after coloring your hair with Garnier hair dye, use a sulfate-free shampoo to wash your hair
Why? Because at this point, your hair has completely absorbed the color molecules of the dye.
What type of shampoo can you use to wash your colored hair?
And obviously, you can also go for one out of the line of shampoos and conditioners of the Garnier brand. I especially recommend Garnier’s Fructis line, because it contains moisturizing and nourishing agents.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Is Garnier Fructis good or bad for your hair? It all depends on your hair’s needs
Once you have your sulfate-free shampoo, let’s see how to wash your hair for the first time after you’ve waited 72 hours since you dyed it.
- Wet your hair with lukewarm, almost cold water, and put the shampoo in your hair.
- Massage your scalp as well, then rinse and wring out your hair.
- Apply conditioner, avoiding the roots, because you should only put conditioner in the lengths and ends .
- Leave it on for five minutes and rinse with lukewarm, almost cold water.
- Drain your hair and give it a final rinse with cold water to close the cuticles.
- Wrap your hair in a towel and let it air dry.
Remember not to wash your hair every day. Ideally, wash colored hair every 72 hours , so that your hair has a chance to absorb the natural nutrients your scalp releases between washes. And that way your color will also last longer.
Once you’ve left the Garnier hair color in for the right length of time, you shouldn’t use shampoo to rinse out the color. I recommend you use the post-coloring treatment after rinsing to remove the dye residue and moisturize your hair.
And in subsequent washes, use a sulfate-free shampoo to make sure the color lasts as long as possible.