- If you’ve just permed your hair and your ends are straight, you’ll need to wait three days and return to the salon to have them re-perm just your ends.
- If you don’t want to return to the salon, the only way to fix those straight ends is to trim them so that all your hair is curly.
- If it’s been three months since you permed your hair and you don’t want to perm it again, you can curl your ends with curl-shaping creams or leave-in conditioners for curly hair.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How to fix a perm that didn’t take? A hairdresser tells you what to do
Why is my perm not curly? For one of these 3 reasons
Are the ends of your perm straight?
Well, depending on how long it’s been since you got the perm, this could absolutely be normal. Let’s see why.
If it’s been less than three days since you got a perm, and your ends are straight , something has happened. And unfortunately for you, this isn’t good news.
Because it means that something went wrong when you got your perm. That’s why your ends are now straight.
Now, if it’s been more than three months since you got your perm, it’s normal for the curls to lose definition gradually. This is especially true if your hair is thick. It often happens to the ends because the weight of the hair causes them to stretch.
The issue of straight permed ends is also influenced by the type of perm you’ve chosen.
- If your hair is fine and you chose a tight perm , you will have springy curls for longer.
- If your hair is thick and straight, and you choose beach waves , the ends won’t stay curly for long.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO READ: How long does a digital perm last? 5 hair care tips to make it last longer
Let’s look at how you can get the curls back in your ends, depending on how long it’s been since you permed your hair.
If it’s been less than three days since you permed your hair and the ends are straight, go back to the salon
I don’t have good news for you.
In this case, if the ends of your perm are straight, it means the hairdresser did the perm wrong. And most likely, the stylist didn’t place the curlers in your hair correctly.
They may not have taken the ends of your hair between their fingers to roll them into the curlers. Then when they held the curlers in place, the ends were left loose.
In this case, you have two options:
- Return to the salon to perm just the ends. You can go back three days after your original perm. The stylist will roll your ends into the curlers. Then your perm will be perfect.
- Trim the ends of your hair. You must do this with dry hair. Use scissors that cut well. When trimming the ends, don’t stretch the curl.
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY: When is it Safe to Perm Hair After Bleaching? You should wait 4 weeks
If it’s been more than three months since you permed your hair and your ends are straight, go to the salon to re-perm, or shape them with styling creams
A perm usually lasts for six months. But always consider your hair type.
A perm can fall out easier when your hair is naturally straight. Straight hair generally has low porosity and is thick and heavy.
Your best option, in this case, is to apply curl-shaping creams or leave-in conditioners for curly hair. Generally, moisturizing works well to make your ends curlier.
If you don’t want to waste time styling your ends, you can return to the salon to renew the perm.
In this case, I recommend you ask your stylist to use small curlers and lots of them. That way, your ends will stay curly for longer.
Remember, your stylist should also check your hair before re-perming it to make sure it will withstand a new perm.
If you’ve just permed your hair and your ends are straight, return to the salon because your stylist should fix the problem. The stylist has likely made a mistake in the application process.
The solution is easy. Simply apply the perm just on the ends, and this time you’ll get the perm right.