- Ideally, you should condition your permed hair every time you wash it as long as you do it every 48 to 72 hours.
- So, if you wash your permed hair twice a week, you should condition it twice a week.
- Alternatively, if you wash your permed hair three times a week, you should condition it three times a week.
- You can use a leave-in conditioner to shape or give your curls extra moisture when you don’t wash your hair.
- I’ll tell you which conditioner to use on your permed hair to care for it.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How often should you wash permed hair? Should you wash it every day?
Want to know how often you should condition your permed hair?
It looks like you’re seriously caring for your new curly hair shape. Congratulations!
Keeping permed hair moisturized is very important to have frizz-free curls with lots of movement.
When I perm my clients’ hair, I always give them three key recommendations:
- Don’t wash your hair for at least 72 hours.
- Wash hair as often as possible every 72 hours.
- Keep the hair moisturized.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Should I wash my hair 48 or 72 hours after a perm?
How do you keep permed hair moisturized? There’re two ways:
- You can condition your permed hair every time you wash (two to three days)
- Or, you could add a leave-in conditioner into your routine when you don’t wash your hair and apply a traditional conditioner.
Why does a conditioner play such an essential role in the care of permed hair? I’ll tell you about it.
Why should you condition your permed hair every time you wash it?Conditioners help maintain the hydration and elasticity of your curls.
Perming is a chemical process that changes the structure of your hair. Usually, the process leaves the hair porous.
What does this mean?
Porous curly hair absorbs moisture very quickly but also loses it. This is why curly hair usually dries out very quickly.
When hair is very porous, it tends to weaken and break. That’s why you should condition your hair every time you wash it. The moisturizing agents in the conditioner will balance the hair’s moisture.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How soon after a perm can I deep condition my hair?
Also, after using conditioner every time you wash your permed hair, it’ll be easier to shape and style your curls. That way, you’ll prevent your curly hair from frizzing and tangling when styling.
Therefore, start using a conditioner every time you wash your hair. If you do it twice a week, apply a conditioner. If you wash your hair three times a week, you’ll use a conditioner three times a week.
How to use a conditioner every time you wash your permed hair?
- Wash your hair with a sulfate-free shampoo designed for curly hair.
- Rinse, remove excess water, and apply conditioner. Leave it on for three to five minutes.
- While you wait for the conditioner to work, gently detangle your hair with a wide-toothed comb so as not to break the curl. Remember that curly hair shouldn’t be combed when it is dry. It should always be damp.
- Rinse with cool water and dry your hair with a microfiber towel because cotton towels break the hair by friction.
After two weeks, look at your curls.
- If you condition your hair twice a week and notice that your curls are dull and frizzy, start washing your hair three times a week. This way, you’ll be using more conditioner.
- If you used conditioner three times a week, and your curls are moisturized and bouncy, keep conditioning your permed hair three times a week.
- If you used the conditioner after washing your hair three times a week, and you notice that your curls need more moisture, you shouldn’t increase the number of weekly washes.
Instead, you can add a leave-in conditioner to damp hair. In other words, you don’t need to wash your hair but just spray it with water.
- Wet your hair and apply a leave-in conditioner to your curls. Avoid the roots.
- Combine your curly hair with the wide-tooth comb or gently model your curls with your fingers.
- Don’t rinse your hair. The conditioner will act on your permed hair until the next wash.
What conditioner to use on permed hair every time you wash your hair?
You must consider the needs of your permed hair to choose the best conditioner.
- If your hair is fine and frizzes or tangles easily, use OGX Quenching + Coconut Curls conditioner.
- If your hair is unruly and difficult to style, choose SheaMoisture Curl & Shine conditioner.
- If your permed hair is very damaged, use Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish Conditioner.
- If your hair has slight damage. you can use L ‘Oréal EverCurl Hydracharge conditioner, which will moisturize your curls without weighing them down.
Using conditioner every time you wash your permed hair is vital to keeping your curls free of frizz.
Remember always to condition and style your curls when they are wet to avoid breakage.