Based on my experience and the quality of the dye pigments, the 4 box dyes that last the longest are:
- L’Oréal Excellence
- Garnier Nutrisse
- Schwarzkopf Keratin Color
- Revlon Colorsilk
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How long does permanent dye last in hair? How to care for the color so it lasts longer
And I’m sure the names of the longest-lasting box dyes don’t take you by surprise.
Because all these dyes are made by well-known brands that have been on the market for many, many years.
Now, although these brands use top-quality raw materials to make their dyes last longer, there are other factors that directly influence how long the dye lasts.
Do you know what they are?
- Your hair health. Because if your hair is very porous or damaged the dye will wear out faster.
- Your beauty routine. Because if you wash your hair more than two or three times a week and with products that contain sulfates, the color won’t last as long. It’s also important you don’t wash your hair the same day you color it.
- External factors such as weather or excessive heat from styling tools can also make any of these box dyes last less.
So, you might say that the time the dye lasts doesn’t depend exclusively on the product.As a hairdresser, I can assure you that these four box dyes last the longest . But you will have to do a few things to make it last up to eight weeks.
And later I’ll tell you exactly what you’ll need to do to extend the dye’s life until the next color renewal.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO READ: How long should you wait to dye your hair again with box dye?
Longest-lasting box hair dyes
Why do these box hair dyes last longer than other dyes?
Because they’re made with more intense pigments . That’s why they last up to eight weeks, depending on the color you choose.
For example, red, black, or extra-light blondes start to lose intensity after six or seven weeks.
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY: Why Does my Hair Dye Wash Out Every Time I Shower?
Ready to choose your box dye? I’ll give you some hints to help you with your choice.
- If you don’t want undertones to appear when the dye starts to fade after eight weeks , choose L’Oreal Excellence. Undertones are those secondary colors that appear when the primary color starts to fade. For example, with a brown hair color, undertones can be orange or reddish.
- If you still have doubts about which color to choose to dye your hair , I advise you to choose Garnier Nutrisse. Because the manufacturer has a “color match” on its website. It’s a virtual tool that allows you to change your hair color as many times as you want until you find the perfect color for you. In addition, its coloring formula contains four natural oils; olive, avocado, shea, and blackcurrant, which will moisturize your hair. Keep in mind that black or red colors start to fade after six weeks.
- If your hair is dry , choose the Schwarzkopf Keratin Color box dye. It’s made with keratin that softens the cuticles and helps them close to retain the color longer.
- If you’re looking for a box dye that uses natural pigments , choose Revlon Colorsilk. But you should know that because its pigments are less intense, the color may start to fade after five weeks.
As you can see, these four box dyes last around eight weeks. But in some cases, the color can start to fade at six weeks, depending on the color you choose.
I want to clarify something. When I say the color may start to fade, I don’t mean that the dye will disappear completely, because that’s impossible.
These are all permanent dyes, so once you dye your hair, it will never be the same again.
You’ll notice that the dye starts to fade because the color will become duller or less intense. How long it takes for the color to fade from any of these dyes will also depend on how careful you are with your hair.
Tips to make your box hair dye last longer
Very porous, dry, or bleached hair loses color quickly because it lacks cuticles, which protect the innermost layer of the hair that holds the color.
Now I’ll give you some tips to make your hair look freshly dyed for longer. First, you should check the condition of your hair.
When the cuticles are broken by either the action of chemicals or excessive heat, the hair loses color faster.
So I recommend you start a deep moisturizing routine. You can use the OLAPLEX or WELLAPLEX line of hair repairers.
You can also apply natural oils or moisturizing masks. Make sure they don’t contain sulfates.
In addition, it’s important you use sulfate-free hair products. Because sulfates are detergents that wear out the color with each wash.
And I’m not just talking about shampoo and conditioner. All the hair products you use, whether they’re masks, styling creams, or leave-in conditioners, shouldn’t contain sulfates.
It’s important you wash your hair a maximum of three times a week to prevent some of the color from fading with each wash. And don’t overuse heat styling tools such as straighteners or curlers.
Apply heat protectant to your hair every time you use them.
Do you go to the gym or train frequently?
Perspiration that accumulates on the scalp will also wear out the box dye. And with the residue, the color will also fade.
What you should do is rinse your hair with just water. That way you won’t overdo it with shampoo and conditioner.
Now you know which box dye to choose to make your color last longer. These box hair dyes last for eight weeks. But remember that this length of time will also depend on your hair care routine and the products you use in your hair.