- The top layer of your hair is straight because you probably have a mixed hair type. That is, your top layer is straight, and your bottom layer is curly.
- To fix it, you can choose a straightening or a perm to even out the texture of the two layers.
- If you don’t want to apply these procedures to your hair, there are other alternatives. You should use specific products for straight hair, protect your hair from external agents, and incorporate some hair care habits.
You’re probably here because you’re tired of feeling like you have two types of hair: a top layer straight and frizzy and a very different bottom layer.
Do you have curly hair?
I have news for you. That may not be entirely true, and your hair is mixed. That’s why the top layer is straight, and the bottom ones are curly.
But other factors make your top layer straight, such as the type of products you use, the water you wash your hair with, and even the sun.
All that has an influence, so that the top layer is thinner and straighter, and also more prone to frizz.
Do you want to change your straight top layer?
You won’t achieve it by magic. So, stay with me, because I’ll tell you:
- Why the top layer of your hair is straight
- How to unify the textures of your hair with a hair treatment
- Alternative solutions to improve the look of your hair
Tabla de Contenidos
Why is the top layer of your hair straight?
Let’s start at the beginning, and that is to recognize what kind of hair you have. What does it have to do with the straight hair layer?
There’re several types of hair: straight, curly, wavy, and afro.
But in this life, there are also gray areas. So, there’s also mixed hair.
There can be several combinations of curly and afro, straight and wavy, afro and straight. And in those cases, there is a bigger difference between the lower and the upper layer.
In hair matters, differences are deceptive at first sight. For example, straight hair is not a straight board, but it has some natural movement.
That’s why you have to know your hair type to find the right solution.
Mixed hair (straight in the top layer and curly in the bottom layer) is the most common hair in women around the world.
Do you want to find a definitive solution?
You’ll have to check some specific treatments.
How to unify the textures of your hair with a hair treatment
To unify the two textures of your hair, you can get a straightening or a perm. Then, you’ll get even hair layers.
If you straighten all your mixed hair, the bottom, curly layer will be straight, as straight as the top layer.
If you prefer to wear your hair curly, you can opt for a perm on your top layer to match the bottom layer.
However, if you don’t want to straighten or perm your hair, you can improve the look of your top layer. And that’s what I’m talking about next.
Alternative solutions to improve the look of your hair
What are your hair care habits?
Many times, and I’m telling you this out of my own experience, people don’t use proper hair products for their hair type.
What’s more, in certain areas, water is heavier because it contains many minerals and even lime.
Those minerals make the hair fiber heavy. That’s why the upper layers are straight, and the lower ones are wavier.
Why is that?
Because the upper layers are more exposed.It doesn’t mean you should move. But you can choose some products that counteract those effects.
For example, hair products that don’t contain keratin or protein. Do you know why?
Because if you have curls, the molecular composition is lighter, and your hair will need much more structure than straight hair.
If you apply those products to your mixed hair, the straight layer will get even straighter due to the molecular weight.
What’s the solution?
Use hair products exclusively for straight hair as they have a much lower molecular weight and your hair will be perfect.
There are keratin shampoos, keratin conditioners, and keratin masks for straight hair.
Any hair product you use for straight hair will give your top layer a curlier structure and, therefore, will match the rest of your hair.
Now, your job doesn’t end there.
How to protect your hair to avoid a straight top layer
The most damaging factor for the top layer is constant exposure, for example, sun exposure, perfume, rain, hair clips, and even dyes.
The top layer suffers more wear and tear and ends up being straight and more frizzy. However, there are ways to solve that inconvenience without having to invest too much.
- Wear a hat to protect you from the sun.
- Apply micellar water spray every 2 or 3 hours on top of your hair to moisturize it.
- Use a few drops of coconut oil from root to tip to repair your hair and thicken the hair fiber. You can do it two or three times a week.
- If you want to pull your hair back, don’t use rubber bands or hair straighteners. Instead, use clips or less aggressive hair accessories.
- Comb your hair with a wide toothbrush starting at the ends and working your way up slowly.
If you follow these guidelines, your top layer will be repaired in a short time and it’ll no longer look straight and frizzy.
The top layer of your hair is straight because you probably have a mixed hair type.
You can choose to have your hair straightened or permed to even out its texture. Alternatively, you can make some changes to your hair care routine, such as choosing hair products for straight hair and protecting your hair from external agents.